Wednesday, May 11, 2011

"The Kids Made It" Cake

I found this "no dairy" chocolate cake and had to try it.  I love baking with the kids.  When I do, I try to let them do the majority of the work.  I have found that it works easiest if I pre-measure out all the ingredients and then let them pour and mix. They just dumped all the dry ingredients in the pan first and used forks to "rake" it all together.  Then, they added the wet ingredients and mixed it all together.  We baked it at 375 degrees for 40 minutes.  I didn't hear any complaints from the kids, just requests for seconds.  I think it is a winning recipe. 
Cooking with kids is a great opportunity for measuring, math, science, sensory experiences, as well as a great since of independence and accomplishment. Check out the recipe following the pictures.




What you need:
3 cups flour, 2 cups sugar, 2 tsp, baking soda, 1 tsp salt, 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
2/3 cup vegetable oil, 1 tsp vanilla, 2 Tbsp vinegar, 2 cups cold water
Pour all the dry ingredients into a 9 x 13 inch pan and stir.
 Pour all the wet ingredients and mix with a whisk. 
 Bake for 40 minutes at 375 degrees. 
You can frost it or just serve it without.
Pin It

No comments: